IAVA continues to advocate for greater transparency and restriction of deceptive and predatory recruitment. But for many veterans and their families who are saddled with unmanageable student loan debt, where do you go to get help?
Every veteran's experience is different, and finding the right kind of help isn't something you have to do on your own. IAVA's Rapid Response Referral Program helps veterans every day with transition related challenges, and that includes providing guidance to veterans who've been taken advantage of by predatory for profit schools.
IAVA with Scholarship America helps veterans with excessive for profit student loan debt through the Veterans Student Loan Relief Fund.
If you believe you meet the criteria listed below, I encourage you to apply as soon as possible as the December 21st deadline is quickly approaching. If you do not meet the criteria, and just need to speak to someone about managing excessive debt contact a Veteran Transition Manager (VTM) today.
- Be a veteran who served in Iraq of Afghanistan (or served in the surrounding area and have documented service in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation New Dawn) for a total of at least 60 days after September 11, 2001. (Eligible applicants' include veterans who did not meet the 60-day active service period as a result of a service-related injury or condition) OR be spouses or children of veterans (as described above) who are using GI Bill benefits transferred from the veteran
- Have attended a for-profit two- or four-year college or university, vocational-technical school or training institute in the United States during or after the eligible Veteran's military service. To determine whether the school is for-profit, visit http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/
- Have applied for and accepted all eligible federal, state and institutional need-based grants and used all available military educational benefits (grants from all sources must be disclosed on the application)
- Have incurred educational loans that have not yet been fully repaid
- Believe you were deceived or misled by the for-profit school you attended
The Veterans Student Loan Relief Fund isn't the only program helping veterans with for profit schools however. Finding out what assistance is available to you can be overwhelming. If you are struggling with for profit school debt or any other transition related challenge, IAVA is here to help.